Saturday 25 August 2012

Wuthering Heights


BlurbEmily Bronte's dark, brooding vision finds expression in her masterpiece of passion and force.  Her only novel, Wuthering Heights, published a year before  her death in 1848 at the age of thirty, stands as perhaps the most intensely original work in the English language.  In it Emily Bronte records the story of the passionate love between Catherine Earnshaw and the wild Heathcliff with such truth, imagination and emotional intensity that a plain tale of the Yorkshire Moors acquires the depth and simplicity of an ancient tragedy.

Thoughts: I had no idea what to expect when I began this. Stupidly I guessed it would be somewhat like Jane Eyre, which couldn't be further from the truth. The best way I can describe it is twisted. Messy, twisted and passionate. It has an incredible, brooding yet beautiful force that carries it along, which I suppose represents in many ways in the spirit of the moors. I liked it and I didn't like. I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable read, but it was strangely absorbing. It's kind of like a place; when you're reading it, it surrounds you completely. My mind keeps wandering back there, and I think it's a book that will grow on me as a contemplate it further.

  
  


  



2 comments:

  1. OOh... I like how you compare it to a place. It is an incredibly unique book, but not one I personally enjoyed all that much. But I get what you are saying... and I knew while reading it that I'd need to read it again someday. -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been postponing this book for a long time because I don't expect it to be "my type" of romance. But I'll have to get to it eventually! Interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete