Friday 17 August 2012

One Hundred Years of Solitude



BlurbOne Hundred Years of Solitude tells the magical story of the Buendía family, who love, lie, fight and rule for a century in Macondo, their settlement in the South American jungle. Part exotic paradise, part nightmare, Macondo is a fantastic world of miracles and mirages where nothing is as it seems. Its secrets lie hidden for years in an encoded book, and only Aureliano Buendía, the last in the dynasty, can unlock its mysteries and discover the fate of this strange land…...

Thoughts
: In short, I loved it. I don't think I have ever been so excited by the ending of a book - the final pages are truly magical. I've become so wrapped up in Macondo that I've had numerous dreams set there. I never knew magic realism could work so well and seem so uncontrived as it does when García Márquez writes it. 




 
    




I thought it'd be fun to paste in my book report for it in Spanish below for anyone who speaks Spanish. And please let me know about of corrections - my Spanish is a little rusty after two months of summer holidays!

Habiendo oído mucho sobre este libro, tenía muchas ganas de leerlo. Me sorprendió inmediatamente por el estilo de la escritura. Es muy diferente a todo lo que he leído antes, ¡con sentencias de dos páginas! Sin embargo pronto lo encontré casi adictivo. La combinación de crudo realismo y elementos fantásticos lo hace bastante extraordinario, y el término "realismo mágico” fue inventado para describirlo.

El alcance épico de la novela, sigueindo cinco generaciones de la familia Buendía es muy impresionante. García Márquez hace un mundo en lo que el lector puede perderse y sobre lo que nos importa mucha. La negligencia en el cumplimiento de la casa de la familia es muy triste y refleja la caída en desgracia de la familia propia.

En esencia, este es un libro sobre el destino y la imposibilidad de escaparlo. Por todo el libro, vemos las historias se repiten de generación en generación, y en las últimas páginas, las historias individuales de todos los personajes, pasados y presentes, se unen en un clímax final. Esta es coreografiada increíblemente y sorprendentemente no se siente en absoluto artificial. La última línea todavía resuena en los oídos del lector; “las estirpes condenadas a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad sobre la tierra.”

2 comments:

  1. I love the use of magical realism in literature. I also love when a book infiltrates your subconscious to the point of entering your dreams! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine reading it in Spanish added somewhat to the pleasure. I had to rely on a translation...but I still found it quite enjoyable. I loved the fatalism theme of the repeated names.
    My own review: http://100greatestnovelsofalltimequest.blogspot.com/2015/01/one-hundred-years-of-solitude-by.html

    ReplyDelete